Translate

Sunday, May 11, 2014

To My Fair Mother

   I was so very lucky to have a mother who was very involved in my life.  I have countless memories where she was just plainly there, being with me.  I imagine many mothers wonder if they are doing enough.  I would say that there is no magic formula for a mother save being there for her children in love and trying her best.  Mistakes will happen, but it is the long-term stability that is provided through the day-to-day love that a child remembers.  I am writing this entry to express my gratitude for my mother, as well as the following poem.

To the fairest of all is given the gift Motherhood

The gift of bearing God's children 
is given to her most fair.
A bond born of giving,
of sacrifice.
Men may learn somewhat of these things
but she came down, this love her wings.

This trust placed in those most fair,
His trust in her, to love them here.

A sacred pact, of mother to God,
of mother to child, to child from God.
To leave a heavenly home for a time, 
yet given an angel to always guide.

The fairest among His children are blessed 
with the keeping of these so small.
Could there be any other way?
No, it's clear as night and day!

Even if she is not perfect,
even if life has thrown her down
For her service, He will bless her.
Her sacrifice shall become her crown.

-Patrick Williams(to my mother who has always loved me)

Memories I have of my mom growing up:

  •    Being involved in my school's homeroom activities and field trips. (She would buy me and my friends little snacks on the field trips)
  •    Holding and dunking me in the public pool until I guessed the color she was thinking of. (It was fun and not life threatening)
  •    Playing Mario Bros. 3 with me even though I would beat her badly.
  •    Cleaning up my rejected food stuffs in a hotel room in the middle of the night when I couldn't make it to a receptacle in time.  (I had eaten Chinese food at a fair earlier that day, and we both agreed that the room actually smelled kind of delicious afterwards)
  •    The many times she would patch me up from scrapes and cuts from playing outside (I refused to wear shoes which led to the majority of injuries)
  •    Reading Disney short stories to me and sometimes changing them up (Ferdinand the bull got a little violent one night)
  •    Reading R.L.Stine's Goosebumps Series to me (sometimes both of us were afraid to keep reading)
  •    Letting me get involved with baking even though it would have probably been easier without my "helping"
  •    Having the best birthday parties even though we didn't have a lot of money.
  •    Packing me healthy homemade lunches (especially when I started to get a little plump, she would even sometimes make them for me in high school and write little notes on my napkin)
  •    Being the primary care-taker of the pets we took in.
  •    Helping me memorize the scout law (A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent)
  •    She was just always there, through all of my tears and trials, there is nothing to replace those things she has done for me.  To this day she still continues to do more for me than I deserve, and I thank her for it.  I love you Mom!


No comments:

Post a Comment