Translate

Friday, October 11, 2013

Deminishing Negative Thoughts and Getting a Hold on a Happier Reality

   Can I just say that there is so much info out in the world today that it's dang dizzying looking for and deciphering what will be of good use?  Well in my commitment to bring you only the shiniest most precious gems, I introduce my most recent discovery!
 
    I myself have recently been introduced to something so simple yet so helpful in my Family Stress and Coping class.  We've been reading a book by David D. Burns, M.D. called When Panic Attacks, The New Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life.

    In this book he talks about something called Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT).  Burns claims that with CBT we may:
"learn to change negative thoughts, or "cognitions," that cause depression, as well as the self-defeating behavior patterns that keep you stuck."1  
The best part is that it doesn't use medications (which have, at times, been known to bless you with side effects that make life just as uncomfortable as the problem you were trying to solve).

How often does this happen to us? We have negative thoughts passing through our head, we might even know they are false, yet our brains seem to believe them and it affects our bodies and moods accordingly. We start to stress, panic, or feel overwhelmed. 

Well I have a tried a simple exercise with the use of a Mood Log© & Worksheet attached with a Checklist of Cognitive Distortions ©.  These are basically two tools that will help you realize where you are going wrong, and replace those unhelpful negative thoughts and feelings with ones that are more positive and accurate. I really wish I had known about this so long ago, It has helped me so much that I just have to share it with all of you!

Following are an example worksheet to walk you through the simple process and a blank worksheet to fill out yourself.  The nice thing is that once you get used to these steps you won't need the worksheets anymore!  You will be thinking more positively as a natural reaction!  Please try it for yourself and see what comes of it!

Mood Log Example
Mood Log Worksheet

I am not the owner of the above Copyrighted materials.

1.Burns, D. (2007). When panic attacks. (p. 2). New York: Doubleday Broadway Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment